Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Making Lemonade

We've had a house full of sickos.  I mean everyone was sick.  But, don't worry I have still been coming up with some really good tutorials in the midst of the epidemic. That's why there's been a little lull lately in the blog...if you were wondering. 


Well, we have a Meyer lemon tree in the backyard.  It has the biggest lemons I've ever seen.  Some are as large as the oranges we picked not too long ago, off of our orange tree.  This time of year I feel so spoiled living in Southern California because of all the fresh citrus.  Originally being from the Midwest, I never had Meyer lemons until I came to California.  They are so full of juice unlike the store bought, small lemons, that have a tendency to be very dry.  The Meyer lemons often have this yellow orange glow that make it almost appear like an orange.  Emma sometimes has to ask if it is a lemon or an orange.  Having a big bowl full of lemons, I figured it was about time to make some lemonade with the girls.



Notice how these lemons are all so roundish in shape? We only had two that really resembled typical lemons.




See Emma's hand.  This is truly a BIG lemon!  


We decided to only juice a few lemons and save the rest for later.  I made a simple syrup recipe that my Dad always swears bye when he makes his lemonade, and it did not disappoint. The syrup recipe is so easy. 
Just one part sugar to one part water and boil.  Let it cool.

Here's my recipe for homemade lemonade:
Using a 16oz. glass:
1/8 lemon juice
1/8 simple syrup
several ice cubes
Fill the remainder of the glass with water.  

It's the perfect combination of not too tart and not too sweet.  You can easily modify it to however you prefer, more sweet or more tart.  Next time, I'm going to try it with a little carbonated water.

Here's what the girls thought.


There was no taking pictures of them.  It was all business. 


A little cheers is in order!




Good to the last drop!

Next, we'll have to make a lemon meringue pie.


Hi everyone!  I've moved to artzycreations.com.  Check out my new website.  I am always producing new material so please check it out and follow me there.
Many Thanks,
Melanie


1 comment:

  1. I love lemonade as well. Will you share some lemons with me so I may try out the recipe?

    ReplyDelete